Christopher Henry Vaught Scholarship in Science Policy
updated January 2018
This scholarship is available to support highly motivated undergraduate students in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, or other life sciences, to engage in Science Policy research as a part of the Fall and Spring UGA Washington Semester Program. Applicants are evaluated based on review of 500-word, typed personal statement indicating why you wish to participate in the program in the area of science policy, resumé, academic transcripts, and an interview. Typically, one award is made annually. This program is made possible on account of the generosity of Drs. Jim Vaught and Irene Glowinski, who reside in the Washington D.C. area.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Amy Medlock
Dr. Chris West
Application deadline: Two weeks before the Washington Semester Program deadline.
2018 Award Recipient: Ashleigh Proctor
BMB Undergraduate Academic and Research Excellence Awards
Updated June 21, 2021
The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology is pleased to announce two BMB Faculty Awards for academic and research excellence, to be presented to outstanding BMB undergraduate student majors each year.
Faculty nominations are due March 1, and should be sent to the Head of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. The nomination shall include a letter of recommendation and the student’s curriculum vitae and current transcript. Nominations will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Coordinator Professor Adams, Professor Emeritus Dan DerVartanian, and the BMB Undergraduate Committee, who will submit their recommendations to the Head who will make the final decision. The awards will be presented at the Spring Graduation.
1. The BMB Faculty Award for Academic Excellence
This award has been funded by the generosity of BMB Emeritus Professors Dan DerVartanian, Claiborne Glover, and Alan Przybyla. The award includes a certificate and $300 in cash.
- 2018 Award Recipient: Hailey Elizabeth Clark (mentor: Dr. Paula Lemons)
- 2019 Award Recipient: Trisha Dalapati (mentor: Dr. Julie Moore)
- 2020 Award Recipient: Rajashri Manjunath (mentor: Dr. Bob Haltiwanger)
- 2021 Award Recipient: Emma Grace Tucker (mentor: Dr. Bob Haltiwanger)
- 2022 Award Recipients: Oleksandra (Sasha) Stogniy (mentors: Dr. Paula Lemons, Dr. Fikri Avci), Ishan K. Vaish (mentor: Dr. Ying Xu)
2. The Sisodia-Patel Prize for Research in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The purpose of this award is to recognize a graduating senior for his or her outstanding research as an undergraduate majoring in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology. The recipient will be planning a career in research and attending graduate school in the coming year. Recipients shall be selected by the faculty of the Department and will be recognized at graduation. The award will include a certificate and a cash award of $1000. This prize has been funded through the generosity of Dr. Sangram S. Sisodia, who earned his Ph.D. degree in the department, and honors his mentor, Professor Gordhan Patel. Dr. Sisodia is currently the Thomas A. Reynolds Sr. Family Professor of Neurobiology at the University of Chicago.
This award was previously funded by BMB Professors Emeriti as the BMB Faculty Award for Research Excellence.
- 2018 Award Recipient: John Christopher Sugar (mentor: Dr. Mike Adams)
- 2019 Award Recipient: Nikita Vantsev (mentor: Dr. Mike Terns)
- 2020 Award Recipient: Tiffany N. Hicks Sirmans (mentor: Dr. Zac Wood)
- 2021 Award Recipient: Landon M. Clark (mentor: Dr. Michael Terns)
- 2022 Award Recipients: Elisabeth A. Lampros (mentor: Dr. Adam Barb), Alexandria M. Jefferson (mentor: Dr. David Forgacs)